11.06.2008

Baracking the Vote

It goes without saying that Tuesday night was one I never want to forget. It was, without question, the most exciting, inspriational, and emotional night of my life, the culmination of nearly two years of my borderline obnoxious interest in the 2008 election. It turned out far better than I could have HOPEd and I am still riding the high from the collective effervescence I experienced jumping around with hundreds of people at Bailey's in Arlington. I feel so lucky to have spent the night with good friends and new friends, including Jana, Robin, Pam, Dana, Pat, Matt E., Emily, and Leah.

What I hope most is that the interest of the country in general and people my age specifically doesn't wane now that the Super Bowl of politics is over. We can't have an off-season. We have to hold our newly elected leaders and their incoming administation accountable and resist apathy, even if some of us have more confidence in the goverment today than we have for the past eight years. And for those of you who think the sky is falling now that he's elected, I hope you don't give up on your views either and make sure you're heard.

I think President Obama said it well in part of his speech Tuesday night:

"What began 21 months ago in the depths of winter cannot end on this autumn night. This victory alone is not the change we seek. It is only the chance for us to make that change. And that cannot happen if we go back to the way things were. It can't happen without you, without a new spirit of service, a new spirit of sacrifice. So let us summon a new spirit of patriotism, of responsibility, where each of us resolves to pitch in and work harder and look after not only ourselves but each other."

To some people, it might sound like he's talking about socialism. But someone I love very much and think is smart and aware made an impression on me last week when he said that he didn't think Obama's stump speeches were talking about socialism as much as he they are about being a good Christian. I certainly don't think the ideals of sacrifice, service to your fellow man, responsibility, and hard work are exclusively Christian; these values are essential to every religious tradition I've come across, so maybe it's more about the general morality of human beings. Another very important person describes his religious views as being as simple as "treating others well" and I think this is what Obama is talking about. The socialism thing is just a scare tactic.

I hope a year from now we have a stronger economy, improved schools, a health insurance system that makes more sense, and young people who are imbued with the sense of social and personal responsibility, limitless possibilities, and positive feelings about their country. To me, it's incredibly refreshing to feel as empowered on a generational sense as my parents raised me to be personally. I don't want this feeling to ever, ever go away.





3 comments:

Peevish said...

I think you mean President-ELECT Obama. But I know what you mean about collective effervescence because that's how my generation felt when we succeeded in getting the voting age lowered to 18.

Anonymous said...

The torch is rightly "passed to a new generation of Americans." Carry it high and straight, and never let greed or self-interest sway you from our fundamental American values of equality and opportunity.
-- Older white military male from Arizona who voted for Obama.

C Hirsch said...

If Obama has accomplished all of those things you want within a year then he deserves a medal. People need to be ready to be patient, a trait that this country's citizens haven't shown when it comes to the war in Iraq. It didn't take a short time for things to go to crap, it will take just as long to fix it.

I will enjoy being in the second guessing seat for the next four years but of course want things to improve for our country.