LOST episodes watched: 24
Baseball games attended: 2
Hot dogs consumed: 2
Training mileage: Two miles at once (crikey, this is going to be brutal)
Saturday was THE day—the quest for Amanda Trainor’s wedding dress. AT is marrying Sherman, a good friend of mine from college. Sherman is a great friend, but his greatest act as a friend was probably introducing me to his then-girlfriend-now-fiancĂ©e, Amanda. We are kindred spirits and I feel so lucky to know her. Anyway, Trainor, Jana, and I set off for a day of three bridal stores. Prior to our departure, Trainor and I developed a Lord of the Rings theme for the day. (Who will take the bride to David’s? I will...I will take her—though I do not know the way.) While Jana resisted initially, she gamely humored us during the actual day and even threw out some of the book and movie quotations at appropriate times. (As a pre-K teacher, Jana is practiced at humoring people and making them think they are amusing to build their self-esteem.) I still haven’t heard the official verdict that we found THE DRESS, but I think we did. I learned so much—what a bustle is, different lengths of trains, that you have to order your dress six months in advance, that wedding dresses are outrageously expensive, and that the best brides encourage everyone to eat Five Guys in between appointments of trying on superexpensive wedding dresses.

My favorite thing I learned during Memorial Day weekend, though, was how to keep score at a baseball game. I’ll be honest; I did not believe Sherman’s assertion that keeping score made watching baseball much more fun. He was right, which is something no one needs to tell the kid but it’s so true that I have to say it in this case. Filling in those little boxes and figuring out the right numbers to write down unlocked secrets about baseball that I never even noticed were there and Sherman’s unadulterated love for baseball is kind of infectious. Also, I find a lot of solace in small repetitive activities like crossword puzzles, word finds, and collating things; keeping score at baseball is a more social version of these comforting activities that also involves—you guessed it—hot dog consumption. Keeping score apparently also is a really effective way to attract the attention of what I’m going to stereotype as slightly nerdy male baseball fans. This is a subset I’ve never considered thoughtfully, but perhaps I will have more thoughts by the end of the summer.
LOST is crazy. I watched 24 episodes in two days. I declared a moratorium this week after it. Initial thoughts: Sayid and Shannon = least believable couple in the history of television; Locke = one of the greatest characters ever; Jack = please let him get over his daddy issues soon; Boone = so sad to lose you right after you finally got interesting.
My favorite thing I learned during Memorial Day weekend, though, was how to keep score at a baseball game. I’ll be honest; I did not believe Sherman’s assertion that keeping score made watching baseball much more fun. He was right, which is something no one needs to tell the kid but it’s so true that I have to say it in this case. Filling in those little boxes and figuring out the right numbers to write down unlocked secrets about baseball that I never even noticed were there and Sherman’s unadulterated love for baseball is kind of infectious. Also, I find a lot of solace in small repetitive activities like crossword puzzles, word finds, and collating things; keeping score at baseball is a more social version of these comforting activities that also involves—you guessed it—hot dog consumption. Keeping score apparently also is a really effective way to attract the attention of what I’m going to stereotype as slightly nerdy male baseball fans. This is a subset I’ve never considered thoughtfully, but perhaps I will have more thoughts by the end of the summer.
LOST is crazy. I watched 24 episodes in two days. I declared a moratorium this week after it. Initial thoughts: Sayid and Shannon = least believable couple in the history of television; Locke = one of the greatest characters ever; Jack = please let him get over his daddy issues soon; Boone = so sad to lose you right after you finally got interesting.
7 comments:
For what it's worth, I have been happily married to a slightly nerdy baseball fan for almost 18 years.
True. I used to love to keep score at games. And even saved the scorecards for years.
I'm glad you learned so much dresses, maybe one day you can be an expert like me, hahah!!
Erin Peck
That 6 month in advance thing might be a problem for me since I am getting married in 4.5. Also, Five Guys is a must when trying on dresses - it's a huge self esteem booster after you've been told you need to buy a bridesmaids dress (not cool). Also, I too an adept at humoring people and will soon begin the process of watching a bunch of Disney movies I've never seen so that we can use those quotes for the “Jana and the Fairy Princess Wedding Dress Shopping Excursion”!
Thank you; I appreciate being humored with the Disney quotes. And Amanda's dress is GORGEOUS! :-)
You actually have a friend who hasn't seen all the Disney movies?
Ohhhh...I want to go to 5 guys...Uncle Dave wouldn't let me go to the one we saw at Panama City Beach. Who cares that we had just eaten lunch 10 minutes ago. AND did you see any stunning Mother of the Groom dresses/outfits?
Post a Comment